Mechanical Edge Finder
Edge Finder is a tool used in the spindle of a machine such as a mill. The device is used to accurately determine edges or markings and therefore the center of a workpiece or a previously machined feature during the set-up phase of a machining operation.
- Do not use the bend apart or to drag or pull with force.
- Never let impurities or foreign things stain on the slide face.
- While using edge finder, be sure the speed not over 6000 rpm.
- Never apply it on machine of horizontal type.
- Ø10mm straight shank can be installed directly on milling chuck or drilling chuck(refer to Fig.1).
- Press slightly on edge of sensor unit with hands to keep eccentricity at 0.5mm(refer to Fig.2).
- Rotate with speed of 400-600 rpm.
- Make sensor unit contact to the end face of workpiece shown as Fig.2. Then, contact and move gradually, it is going to turn into Fig.3 and sensor unit keeps still. Furthermore, if fine feed is started, then sensor unit will move according to a specific direction. The start point of this movement is the basis position to look for.
- The position of end face of the workpiece is the coordinate position of sensor unit plus radius 5mm.